Skipping Steps

Skipping Steps



Today I caught myself--
As I ascended the stairs
To the second floor,
For that certain pen
I was sure I’d left up there
In my office
Yesterday, or was it 
The day before 
                 (Or Sunday?)—

Counting skipped steps as I 
Double climbed, 
Suddenly conscious that
I was doing this thing
I’d been doing throughout
My entire youth, my whole
Lifetime without thinking:
Unconsciously fearless:
Thoughtlessly.

Why, this day, need I pause?
Why wonder why?
And what about breathing?
Must I think about 
That too? Automatic, no?
And thinking? Heart?
What of reckless forging
Forward? Onward?
Yet Upward?

Then, with pen in hand,
It was there, I knew,
I descended more slowly
Than I ever had:
Foot before foot, careful.
Tight-holding the banister
That I don’t remember ever
Holding before:
Not falling.

Then, I remembered, now
Conscious of my
Forgetfulness, that I could
Not possibly write
This poem, unstructured
And sloppy as it is,
Without that pad of paper
Still on my desk,

Comments

Popular Posts