You Know

You Know




You know, I love every minute with you,
Every minute of every day, 
And every second of those minutes,
Even when I’m a thousand miles away.

You know, I love you when you remind me
That I’m a mere mortal,
Imperfect and arrogant as I can be,
That I’m still, unjustifiably, you-worthy.

You know, I love that you are my equal,
Better in every single possible way,
The completion of every heartbeat,
Every color between black and grey.

You know, I live for the silly-stupid moments,
For the invaluable, throw-away moments:
When you complain that I didn’t use my blinker,
When you trust me to drive to Publix.
When you yell at me for bothering the cats,
When you make Luna meow at me on the phone.
When you chastise me for wasting money,
When you encourage me to get “that thing” I want.
When you point out that I was rude to a bartender,
When you politely order for both of us.
When you say I don’t scratch you right,
When you ask me to scratch your forearm anyhow.
When I embarrass you in public by acting a fool,
When you let me kiss your cheek and hold your hand.
When I tell you I love you,
When you tell me you love me back.

But there are things you don’t know,
Moments that I don’t always share:
When I am watching football games, I compare
The hottest guys on the field to you. 
They always lose.
When I’m bored on trains or planes, I pull up
An album on my phone called “Pally,” 
And scroll and smile.
When I see an ambulance drive by, my first 
Somber thought is of life without you,
It’s excruciating.
When I wonder about whether there is god,
I am reminded of how we met,
Miraculous coincidence.
When I wake up before you, while you still sleep,
I watch you breathe, 
I watch you struggle with the covers,
I watch you toss and turn,
I watch you dream,
And I just gross-cry.
When we go on walks and I’m walking behind you,
Oh, that bubble butt and those broad shoulders,
So strong, so sexy.
When I see sweet elder guy couples acting silly,
I think of us in twenty or thirty years,
Silly together.

You know, I love every minute because of you,
Every single breath is for you,
You loved me first and made me whole,

Comments

Popular Posts