Pointing Fingers

Pointing fingers

With a sight on my cuticle, I aim.
With my thumb, I pull the trigger,
Off flies the bullet of self-righteous
Indignation, armor piercing words.
Occasionally, my middle finger double-
Barrels the sinister device.

From behind my Constitution:
  History and activism at odds,
Free from hopelessness. 

With a sight on the tv screen, I aim
At far off combatants, enemies a
World away, with others’ automatics,
With others’ childrens’ fingers, in the
Name of war, in the name of God,
Safe in my bunkered parlor.

With a sight on my canon,
  At them, there.
With a sight on my musket.
With a sight on my rockets
  Red-glaring.
With a sight on my mustard gas.
With a sight on my atomic bomb--
  Nuclear
With a sight on my napalm.
With a sight on my drone,
  At myself.
With a sight on my IED,
  Alas, us.

With the sight removed, I fire.
Indiscriminately, into crowds,
Praying for innocents, collaterals,
Released to heaven too soon--or
Maimed by blunt spreadshot-- blameless
Save proximity to evil and aimlessness.

From behind my rights:
  Civil, human, endowed, to live,
Freed from hopelessness.

With a sight on my privileged fear
From within my safest garrison,
Behind words, behind warriors, 
Behind crusaders and jihadists,
Behind demagogues and tribal chiefs:
Fire! I change tides, scorching earth. 



Comments

Popular Posts